What Happens To Child Support After Job Loss?

When a parent who has been ordered to pay child support suffers a job loss, it can create a great deal of difficulty for everyone involved. The paying parent often struggles to meet his or her obligations, and the recipient parent may not receive the money necessary to care for the children.

In many cases, the parent who has been ordered to pay child support may be able to seek a modification of the order to reflect the current set of circumstances. These cases can become quite complex. No matter which side of the issue you may be on, it is important that you seek the advice of a dedicated Pensacola lawyer with experience handling cases involving job loss and child support.

Expectations Of Parents Who Lose Their Jobs

It is the responsibility of both parents to provide financially for and contribute to the well-being of the child, and that responsibility does not end if a parent loses his or her job. If you are unemployed, you are expected to actively search for work that fully utilizes your capabilities. If you take a low-paying job when you could be making more money, the court can impute income on you and order you to pay child support at a level in line with your earning capability.

Whether you need help seeking a modification of a child support order or need help fighting a proposed modification, the attorneys at the law firm of The Holman Law Firm, are prepared to provide the strong representation you need. In every case, our only concern is to secure an outcome that protects your interests.

Discuss Your Case With Our Family Law And Divorce Attorneys

To schedule a free initial consultation about your child support modification needs, call toll free at 850-435-6909 or contact us online.