10 Crazy Laws in Destin, Florida
10 Crazy Laws in Destin, FL
Everywhere you go there are laws. There are federal laws, state laws and even city laws. There are laws that are common and laws that may take you by surprise! Below are 10 laws found in Destin’s Code of Ordinances that may surprise you.
- In Destin, bikes are confined to roads. However, a bicyclist shall be permitted to wheel or push a bicycle by hand over any grassy area or wooded trail or on any paved area reserved for pedestrian use.
- A bicyclist may not ride any other person on a bicycle.
- Bicycles are prohibited in cemeteries. No person shall ride a bicycle on the grounds or property of any cemetery. A bicyclist shall be permitted to park a bicycle outside the fenced area of the city cemetery in order for the bicyclist to attend a funeral service, visit a gravesite or attend any other ceremony or service. However, no bicyclist shall leave a bicycle lying on the ground or paving, or set against trees, or in any place or position where other persons may trip over or be injured by it.
Compliance Tips: You may be better off leaving the bike at home. If you do choose to ride your bike, be sure you are a single rider, only riding on roads….and never in cemeteries.
- It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, offer for sale, or give away in the city: baby chickens, ducklings or other fowl under four (4) weeks of age, or rabbits under eight (8) weeks of age, to be used as pets, toys or retail premiums; or to give away or offer any animal as a prize, toy or merchandising premium.
- It shall be unlawful and a civil infraction to transport on any public street any dog or another animal in a vehicle that is not fully enclosed unless the animal is confined in a cage or container or temporarily securely tethered by a device that will not permit the animal to fall or jump from the vehicle.
- No animal shall be permitted to habitually chase after or otherwise harass persons or vehicles.
Compliance Tips: Say no to ducks, keep your dog on a leash, and keep your windows up (and air conditioning on) if you are driving with your dog.
- There are only certain areas where you can throw a ball, or play games such as football, baseball and soccer.
- May not picnic or lunch in a place other than those designated for that purpose.
- May not dress or undress on any beach, or in any vehicle, toilet or another place, except in such bathing houses or structures as may be provided for that purpose.
Compliance Tips: Go to the beach dressed for the beach, enjoy water sports that are not restricted and be mindful of where you eat.
Did any of Destin’s laws take you by surprise? Despite some of Destin, Florida’s laws, you can still have a great time in the city. Just make sure that if you want a souvenir of your vacation, you buy it at a souvenir shop because there is one other law that may take you by surprise:
- You are not allowed to remove sand, shells or stones from beaches.
The Holman Law Firm is committed to providing the best legal service in Pensacola, Destin, Pace and Cantonment, FL in a variety of legal areas including Family Law and Personal Injury. We specialize in Fathers’ Rights and will be there every step of the way to fight for your rights. Contact us now for a free consultation at or go online at www.holmanfirm.com.